Punters are confident Dandino ($6) can go one better in the Melbourne Cup after an eye-catching second in the Caulfield Cup.
The Marco Botti-trained stayer was $21 to win the Melbourne Cup before putting in a slashing effort to finish behind Fawkner yesterday.
The seven-year-old was immediately elevated from equal ninth in betting to join Fiorente as the equal favourite.
“Dandino has easily been the best backed runner to win the Melbourne Cup since betting re-opened after the Caulfield Cup,” said TAB’s Matt Jenkins.
“The support is hardly surprising given the way he hit the line; it looked a great Melbourne Cup trial.”
When betting first opened in May Dandino was $26.
Other international runners to attract bigger bets in the past week include: Mount Athos ($6,000 @ $10) and Tres Blue ($5,000 @ $21).
2013 Melbourne Cup
$6 Dandino, Fiorente
$9 Puissance De Lune
$10 Hawkspur, Mount Athos
$15 Sea Moon, Verema, Voleuse De Coeurs
$19 Jet Away, Masked Marvel, Moriarty
$21 Green Moon, Royal Descent, Seville, Simenon, Tres Blue
$26 or longer others
$2.20 Atlantic Jewel
$5.50 Fiorente, It’s A Dundeel
$8 Puissance De Lune
$13 Long John
$21 or longer others
Other betting news:
- Samaready ($3) popular favourite to win the Manikato Stakes at Moonee Valley on Friday
- Puissance De Lune ($7.50 to $8) drifts with Glen Boss set to miss the race
- Polanski firmed from $15 to $8 after winning the Norman Robinson Stakes; opened $31
- Arabian Gold firmed from $15 to $8 after winning yesterday. May’s Dream is $3.10 favourite
- Zoustar ($4) is the heavily supported favourite for the Patinack Farm Classic; opened $21